This week I had installed Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 and tried really hard at making my SmartLink Internal Modem to work in it. It hadn’t worked in any other distro other than Debian Sarge. I started with a 64 bit version of Ubuntu, but it didn’t help. I followed the instructions in Launchpad and configured the modem. So here are the steps that I followed to make my SmartLink modem work in Ubuntu 6.06.
- First we need to have a few packages which need to be installed before installing the driver. You need to have build-essential, linux-headers-ARCH (where ARCH is your kernel version and can be found with uname -r in the terminal), fakeroot, module-assistant and debhelper. All these can be installed (with the dependancies) using apt-get.
- Then you need to install ungrab-winmodem from the linmodem website. Just extract it and make; make install to install it.
- Download slmodem-2.9.11-20051101.tar.gz from http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/smartlink/
- Download sl-modem-daemon_2.9.10+2.9.9d+e-pre2-5build1_i386.deb, but don’t install it yet.
- Extract the tar.gz file and type make and then sudo make install in the folder where you extracted it.
- Type sudo modprobe slamr
- Then install the sl-modem-daemon using
dpkg -i sl-modem-daemon_2.9.10+2.9.9d+e-pre2-5build1_i386.debcommand.
sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restartto restart the daemon.
- This ends the installation part of the modem. Now you can setup your internet connection.
- I used wvdial and unusually, the modem redialled every time the ISP showed the Login prompt. So, I put in the Stupid Mode = 1 in the