Today is the release of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS(Long Term Support). There are seperate editions for Desktop, Server, fast and easy install. You will be supported by security updates for 5 years on the server and 3 years for the desktop.
There are various features in the new version.
- fast and easy graphical installer
- faster system startup and login
- simplified menu organisation
- graphical shutdown process
- GNOME 2.14.1, OpenOffice.org 2.0.2, X.org 7.0
- New kernels targeted at server platforms. The server kernels are tuned differently than the desktop kernels (providing better performance for server applications).
- There are both low-end, and “big iron” server kernels. The low-end server kernel is generic, and should work on the same equipment that the desktop kernel runs on. The highend server kernel is geared towards systems with greater than 8 CPUs (ES7000 / Summit / BIGSMP).
- Turn-key LAMP installation for this common deployment scenario – have your LAMP server setup automatically
Installation and Upgrades
Ubuntu can now be installed to USB sticks, removable hard drives and flash memory
- New upgrade tool for simple, easy and clean upgrade from previous version(5.10)
- The installer runs in a single stage – rebooting straight into a complete system
Under the hood
- GCC 4.0.3
- glibc 2.3.6
- Linux 22.214.171.124
- Greatly improved infrastructure for automatic hardware detection and activation
The recommended system specifications are
Desktop: 256MB RAM – 3GB Hard Disk space
Server: 64MB RAM – 500MB Hard Disk space
The images can be downloaded from the various mirrors available.
Anyone willing to write a good review of the new Ubuntu or can write an installation guide, please comment here.