Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 users search for installing Firefox 1.5 on their boxes. So, I thought of writing a tutorial. I am writing this using the information in the Ubuntu Wiki. There are a few points to note before installing Firefox 1.5.
- Don’t remove the Ubuntu version of Firefox, otherwise, you will break a few packages
- You will no longer get automatic updates through repositories, but the auto-updater built in firefox is enough
- The Totem video plugin doesn’t work. I don’t use this particular plugin. Anyway you can install the package mozilla-mplayer.
- You need package libstdc++5 installed.
sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
- There is a bug in Firefox which causes an error dialog to be displayed, each time FF starts up saying Firefox could not install this item because of a failure in Chrome Registration. Do this for a work around:
sudo mkdir -p /email@example.com sudo touch /firstname.lastname@example.org/chrome.manifest
- I would suggest you backup your bookmarks and settings by
cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default mkdir ~/Desktop/ffsettingscp bookmarks.html cert8.db cookies.txt formhistory.dat key3.db signons.txt history.dat mimeTypes.rdf ~/Desktop/ffsettings
- Download firefox-1.5.tar.gz and change to the directory you downloaded.
- Extract it to
sudo tar -C /opt -xvzf firefox-1.5.tar.gz
- Link to your plugins and remove totem-mozilla as it doesn’t work with FF 1.5
cd /opt/firefox/plugins/sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/* sudo rm libtotem_mozilla.*
- Change to your home directory and rename your old profile(just as backup)
cd ~mv .mozilla .mozilla.ubuntu
- To ensure it is used as the default version, modify the symbolic link in /usr/bin
sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefoxsudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
dpkg-divertcommand will move the original system-wide
/usr/bin/firefoxto a new name. The
lncommand will place a symbolic link to the newly installed firefox in
- Try the new firefox by typing
- Restore your old data
cd ~/Desktop/ffsettingsmv * ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default
- Restore your search plugins
sudo cp -i --reply=no /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/searchplugins/* /opt/firefox/searchplugins/ sudo cp -i --reply=no ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/search/* /opt/firefox/searchplugins/
- To ensure that other programs use the 1.5 version and not the older 1.0.7 version, goto Preferences>Preferred Applications in the System Menu. Under the Web Browser tab, choose custom and enter
I hope this tutorial would really help many in installing Firefox and thereby enabling them to view the web in a totally different view. If anyone got any problem in installing Firefox or has got a better way, please discuss here.